11/7/11

Status Update

Status update: If you haven't noticed yet, Google Reader has lost almost all of it's ability to share items. The share feature has been removed and the RSS feeds for both shared, starred, and 'public folders' have been turned off as far as I can tell.

This has been done as a not so gentle attempt to force everyone who was using Reader's social features or Buzz to migrate to Google Plus. And I wouldn't have a problem with that, if it weren't for the fact that Plus doesn't have feeds for your submissions, the interface for sharing to Plus from Reader is several times more painful and slower than the quick shift-S that used to be in place, and Plus fucks up the formatting of pretty much anything you share. In other words, Plus is not 'ready' to be used for sharing anything other than text IMO.

If you've read this far and are guessing that I don't plan on using Plus in the near future, congratulations. Have a kewpie doll.

I don't, however, plan on stoping sharing. It's just that I'm still working on finding something workable for me. My current experiment is using Reader to share to a blog on Blogger. But while this DOES NOT screw with the formatting like plus, it's still a pain in the ass to get the items from Reader to Blogger compared to the old ways. So I'm looking to smooth that out before I commit. If I can't, I'll barking up other trees. Reader wasn't the only RSS feed reader out there that let you share stuff, I'll find something that works eventually.

Once I have a setup working, I'll post info here.

But as a reminder, subscribing to my RSS feed here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/GrosaPrapsInterestingVisions is always the best bet to follow.

I've already redirected it to point to my Blogger experiment. So at least you'll see the shit I'm testing on.

Because swapping the feed location blew away all the items from Reader in the feed, if for some reason you wanted to grab the last bit of the old shared items feed, it's here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/GrosaprapsSharedItemsInGoogleReader

I won't (because I can't) be updating that any more, at least as long as Reader is in it's current state.

No comments: